The Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana (PMMVY) was introduced in 2017 as the Government of India’s flagship maternity benefits program. Previously known as the Indira Gandhi Matritva Sahyog Yojana, it is currently administered by the Ministry of Women and Child Development.
General Studies Paper-II of the UPSC curriculum includes this program under welfare programs for vulnerable segments of the population by the federal government and the states.
What is Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojana (PMMVY)?
The program is intended for women who are expecting or nursing their first live child and are at least 19 years old. The program offers partial reimbursement for lost wages suffered during pregnancy, delivery, and the subsequent period of childcare. In accordance with the National Food Security Act of 2013, it also intends to give information on healthy feeding and nutrition for mothers and children.
The Anganwadi Center (AWC) and ASHA/ ANM staff will be the major points of implementation for PMMVY, which is implemented through a centrally administered web-based MIS software platform.
Objectives of PMMVY
The PMMVY program has the following goals:
- Providing monetary recompense for wage loss so the mother can recover adequately prior to and following the birth of her first living child.
- To decrease neonatal mortality and malnutrition, we must promote sound nutrition and feeding practices. Additionally, it would encourage healthful behavior among expectant and nursing mothers.
- Increasing the utilization of health services and institutional care to reduce disease risk.
Benefits of the PMMVY Program
The following are some advantages of the Pradhanmantri Matru Vandana Yojna:
- A financial reward of 6,000 rupees is given out as part of this program in three installments.
- The initial payment of 1000 rupees is made at the time of pregnancy registration.
- After six months of pregnancy and just before birth, the second amount of 2,000 rupees is given out.
- After birth, when the infant is registered, and after the first round of immunizations and vaccinations, the third installment of 2000 rupees is made available.
- The Janani Suraksha Yojana (JSY) provides the last Rs. 1,000 monetary incentive following institutional delivery.
Who are the PMMVY Beneficiaries?
In the IAS preliminary exam, the UPSC focuses on the beneficiary list of national programs. Therefore, it is prudent to learn about the Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana recipients.
The PMMVY is intended for the following recipients:
- Pregnant/Lactating Mothers with the exception of those who are currently employed by the Central Government, Public Sector Units, or State Governments, or who receive similar benefits under similar laws.
- Women whose pregnancies began after 01.01.2017 and who are expecting their first child.
Documents Necessary for Registration
For registration under the Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana Yojna, you must provide the following documents:
- In the absence of an Adhaar Card, a copy of your identity evidence is required.
- A signed permission document by the applicant and her husband.
- 1A Application Form
- A copy of the MCP card issued by a PHC or a government hospital.