In order to support CARA in promoting in-country adoption and regulating inter-country adoption, ICPS provides of establishing a State Adoption Resource Agency (SARA) in each State/UT as a unit under the SCPS to coordinate, monitor and develop the work adoption and render secretarial and administrative assistance to the State Adoption Advisory Committee (SAAC).
SARA shall liaison with DCPU at District level and provides technical support to the Child Welfare Committees in carrying out the process of rehabilitation and social integration of all children through sponsorship, foster-care, in-country and inter-country adoption. The specific roles and responsibilities of SARA shall include:
- Functioning as the State Level Resource Centre to coordinate, monitor and develop the adoption program in the state.
- Facilitating the setting up of SAAs, provide legal recognition to SAAs and maintain a comprehensive list of such agencies.
- Ensure that all adoptions/permanent placements of children are done in accordance with the Laws & Guidelines of the Supreme Court of India and Govt. of India.
- Promote in-country and regulate inter-country adoptions in coordination with CARA.
- Maintain a centralized web-based database of adoptable children with the help of DCPU as a part of the child tracking system.
- Maintain a centralize web-based database of prospective adoptive parents with the help of DCPU.
- Supervise the work of SAAs and ensure coordination between them within state.
- Ensuring that all PAPs are registered at SAA/SARA.
- Providing comprehensive adoption data to CARA on monthly basis.
- Ensuring sensitization of all agencies and allied systems.
- Enhancing capacity of those working in the adoption system.
- Taking necessary punitive action when malpractices occur in the adoption program whether by licensed/recognized adoption agencies or by unlicensed individuals or organizations.
- Advocacy and awareness for promoting adoptions in the state.
- Developing and disseminating IEC materials.